FOOTBALL:Agard on target, but Plymouth lose, John, seals Sutton win

Photo by Kafeel Ahmed from Pexels

BROOKLYN, NY– Kieran Agard scored his first goal since returning to the field of play, but his League 1 club side Plymouth Argyle ended on the losing side when Swindon Town beat them 3-1 in an English Football League Trophy match at Home Park.

The 31-year-old striker, eligible to play for Jamaica, St Vincent & the Grenadines, or Dominica through his heritage, fired the Pilgrims level in the 24th minute and blew a great chance to double his tally and put his side in front in the 38th minute.

Agard has released through the center thanks to a neat pass from Danny Mayor, but he dragged his right-footed shot horribly in a one-on-one with goalkeeper Lewis Ward, watching the ball skip by the goalie’s right-hand post.

League 2 Swindon drew clear after the break but booked their place in the tournament’s knockout stage. For Plymouth, it was their second defeat in the game this season.

“I’m delighted to get my first goal (for Plymouth), but ultimately, I’m still a bit disappointed,” UK-born Agard, who joined Plymouth in the summer as a free agent after being released by Milton Keynes Dons, said of his bitter-sweet evening.

Agard made his first start in 659 days last weekend for Plymouth after overcoming a career-threatening knee injury.

In another Trophy fixture, Louis John, a 27-year-old central defender of Vincentian descent, wrapped up the scoring for newly promoted League 2 outfit Sutton United in an upset 2-0 win at Fratton Park over Portsmouth, who play in League 1.

Visitors Sutton, who went ahead on 55 minutes through Isaac Olaofe, extended their lead on 71 minutes following a free-kick from the left delivered to the far post.

Joe Kizzi headed it back across goal, and John was on hand to lash a left-footed shot into the net from around six yards.

League 2o Port Vale, meanwhile, has imposed an “indefinite ban” on a teenaged supporter for racially abusing Leyton Orient goalkeeper Lawrence Vigouroux, who is of Jamaican descent.

The ban takes immediate effect, while Vale said in a statement that there is an ongoing police investigation.

“Vale owner Carol Shanahan also made contact with the player to apologize,” the club said.

The social media post came after Vale’s 3-2 league win over Orient on October 2.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here