The Jamaica government has announced an extension of the nightly curfew as well as several other measures aimed at curbing the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) as the country recorded 30 new cases of the virus and two deaths.
The authorities said that the new cases consist of 13 males and 17 females with ages ranging from seven to 89 years and that the country’s total confirmed COVID-19 cases now stand at 9,959, of which 4,256 are active.
In a Monday night statement, the Office of the Prime Minister (OMP) said that the nightly curfews had been extended until December 1.
It said that Cabinet, will in the next two weeks, advise on the measures for December 2020 and, in particular, the Christmas period.
According to the government statement, the curfew would remain from 9.00 pm to 5.00 am (local time) until December 1. Public transportation by motor vehicle is limited to one person fewer than the maximum number of persons the vehicle is licensed carry. The measure will stay in effect until November 30.
Besides, public transport operators will be allowed one hour before and one hour after the curfew to get to or from base to home, and no passengers will be allowed to be transported during these one-hour periods.
The statement said that drivers comply with the requirements of keeping windows open and having the air conditioning turned off when operating the vehicle.
Regarding entry into the country, the current protocol remains for both residents and visitors until November 30.
But the statement noted that while the requirements for pre-testing and quarantine remain, various operational improvements continue to be implemented to streamline the processing of arriving passengers at the airports.
*All the other measures slated to expire on November 30 continue to remain in effect until then. These include gathering limit will remain at 15 persons. The ban on funerals and parties or events will continue, and burials will continue to be allowed with strict observation and enforcement of the 15-person rule.
The authorities said that regular church or religious services operating in compliance with the established protocols might continue. However, congregants are reminded that gatherings over 15 persons are not allowed outside the place of worship.
The restrictions applicable to hospitals, nursing homes, and infirmaries remain. The age limit for the ‘stay at home’ measure remains at 65. Persons 65 years and older must therefore continue to stay at home but are permitted to leave home once each day for life necessities.
The statement said that the requirement to wear a mask fitted to cover the nose and mouth when in a public place (including a workplace and a licensed public passenger vehicle) remains in effect under the Order without an expiry date.